Friday, June 5, 2009

Claire - A Tale Of Two Houses

Claire. Native of New Orleans. Avid art collector. Lover of color. Friend. Wife of Josh. Mother of Margot.
This is the story of two homes that Claire has made for her aforementioned family, and her three dogs and two cats.

She lives in New Orleans, in a beautiful and typical 100++ year old Uptown townhouse.

But that's where typical stops, and incredible Claire starts.

The entry is wallpapered in silver vinyl. It reminds me of Andy Warhol's Factory.
The front hall leads up the stairs, carpeted in a wonderful animal print.
Claire has a summer project for the front hall: She is designing a floor to ceiling crystal chandelier with the feeling of water. She is making a pop art ceramic faucet where the crystals will flow from. Stay tuned!

The living room is painted a great shade of brown, and has many colorful pieces of furniture, and is jam packed with art. The carpet is an elegant sea grass custom cut and contoured to the shape of the room.



Sebastian the poodle is allowed on the furniture.


The furniture is off limits to the two Dobermans, Bridget and Henry, and to make sure they understand this, Claire puts mouse traps on the furniture. However, the dogs have several nice poufs as dog beds scattered through out the house.


The cats Stella and Chance go wherever they want to.


Adjoining the Living Room is the dining room, painted a great shade of yellow. Turquoise silk drapes give additional energy to the room. The Chinoiserie chairs are yellow too. Claire did the triptych of her daughter, and she made the sculptural sconces on each side of it


Next to the dining room is the office. There's grass cloth on the walls, zebra print on the floor, and a reindeer fur office chair, and of course more fabulous art work.


The family room is a cheerful room. The furniture and art reflect Claire's love of color.


Off the family room is a screened in back porch, that the family just loves. Note the old brick floor.


The brick floor extends outside to the patio around the pool. I love the huge chair and curved ottoman - it looks like Ying and Yang. And of course the tall yellow sculpture is to die for.


The bedrooms are upstairs. The master bedroom is pale and serene.


The daughter's room is a color-paloooza. She loves color as much as her mom does.


The guest room is Palm Beach traditional, but still colorful.


Even the upstairs laundry room has whimsy and color.
I took all these pictures as snap shots of the house "as is", just as the family lives with no photo styling or fluffing. I just love this house.


The family relocated to Houston for a short time after Hurricane Katrina.
But Claire missed her New Orleans, and they came back to their Uptown home.

Poem and nails from a house destroyed by Katrina on the book shelf in the office


You can see much of the art work and color in the Houston house, a mid century beauty, designed by Charles Tapley. All the rooms open to one another, with expansive ceilings, walls of windows, and hardwood floors.
It's for sale via Martha Turner Properties.
It's interesting to see some of the same art and furnishings in a modern house. I think each house looks spectacular, but I prefer the New Orleans house. Which do you like better?

Claire's House In Houston:
















18 comments:

Sabina said...

Of course the poodle can get on the furniture, they're special! That and they don't shed... Love the house in New Orleans, not that I'm biased or anything...her things would look good anywhere.
XO-Sabina

Unknown said...

Gorgeous homes! Thanks for sharing the pics.

La Maison Fou said...

These pics are very nice. I like her taste in art as well an interiors! Thanks for the eye candy, have a GW !
Leslie

Hill Country House Girl said...

Wow.
I kinda love both houses - I think they are both wonderful and her art and taste are great - LOVE that dining room. Talk about her own style!

Hill Country House Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

Love the house in New Orleans. I used to have the antelope carpet in my old house with my ex-husband. It was the only thing I wish I could have taken with me! I love her use of color. The color on the front door is unexpected, but very inviting. It makes you feel like the people within will be great fun to get to know!

Unknown said...

Bursts of color in both homes reflect intense passion for life even with two different types of architecture.
Live, Love, Laugh , Life attitude!

Bette

Anonymous said...

Well, her stuff looks much better in her New Orleans home. But I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to do my own thing with that Houston house. Totally want it for myself (as if anyone reading this cares which house I want)

Velvet and Linen said...

Claire's NOLA house is fantastic!
You had me at the yellow door!
This is what I loved about New Orleans, the love of color and the willingness to push the envelope.
Fantastic, Valorie!

xo

Brooke

Terry said...

I'm exhausted after the NO house. Hard act to follow. Love the big art in every room. I really like the sculpture in the foyer sitting on a sculptural table, if that what it is. I guess you could write a book about the colors. I'll have to study.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

A very creative lady. Two beautiful homes, but the New Orleans one is my favourite! Really wonderful.

My Notting Hill said...

Great house tours - love the brown in the room. I'm partial to the New Orleans house.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous home. The "bones" of these homes provide such a great place to start that once the talent and vision of the designer/owner are added it is a fabulous result.

Tricia - Avolli

P.S. I'm sorry but did your say mouse traps...hummm...sounds like it could hurt/crush little paws:-(

Unknown said...

The Houston house is very interesting architecturally, but I prefer the charm and beauty of the N.O. house.

Paul Pincus said...

you've inspired me, vv! again!

i'm not going to be able to stop thinking about that silver vinyl wallpaper!!!

brilliant.

ps i love that gorgeous yellow door.

Things That Inspire said...

I have so much admiration for people who are really individual and true to themselves in their own decor.

I loved seeing the Houston home contrasted with the New Orleans home...the furniture looked great in Houston, but the contrast of the old and the new in New Orleans is what makes it special.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog, here is some more information on Dining Room Furnishings.

Amanda said...

Love both homes. Can anyone tell me what that antelope runner is on the stairs? Love it!