Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tablescape Thursday: Photo Shoot Sketches


Had a photo shoot the other day. More about that later. Right now the publisher wants to keep it under wraps. After the photo shoot was over I styled my desk for my lunch.

Tablescape Thursday at my desk
A girl's gotta eat!
Click on images for larger picture with more details



The same turquoise tray I use for dining (which came from Wal Mart)
Alberto also made me a little table using one of these trays
Painting behind my desk by Jack Mayberry


Tablescape Lunch For One At My Desk
Placemat and napkin from Dwell Studio



I took these photos the day after the shoot. Kind of photo sketches of what happened.

A view into my office from the dance parlor


Photographers take photo sketches to check the composition and lighting.

You can see how hard it is to photograph a red room in natural and low light
Small painting done by Amanda Talley HERE


The chaise didn't end up in any of the shots


The living room photo sketch
Painting upper right by Jack Mayberry


Living room photo sketch
Chair and pillows from perch.



Bedroom photo sketch
Thomas Paul pillows from perch.
Bird pillow and stripe sheet from Dwell Studio
Bedspread by Horchow HERE


Guest bedroom photo sketch
Bedspread and green pillow from Dwell Studio


I recently got a fun and fabulous new light fixture for the closet PVE made famous HERE.


Photo sketch of my closet
I added the damask print grommet top panel, new chandelier flower ball
Pink chair is on loan from Jacky Mayberry from perch.


I also added a few things I have discarded over the last couple of years due to the input I have gotten from bloggers.

Fabulous printed True Grace candles from perch.


For the photo shoot, the skeleton charts came out of exile, and were hung in the kitchen dining area. I always place a carnival mask on the front view, a sort of nod to enjoying life no matter what!

Booga booga! The skeletons are back!
Love them or hate them, they sure fill up a wall!


I added the terrific True Grace candles we sell at perch., in the most beautiful colors. The sconce is tricky, and I had to hot glue the candles to keep them secure.

Kitchen dining area photo sketch
Suzani table covering, trays used as placemats


I also took the collection of fifty or so crosses out from a box stored in a cupboard under the stairs. I have collected these crosses for over 40 years, and not out of any uber religious feeling on my part. I always loved the beauty of them as I would see them in homes and churches all over Europe, and here in the USA in New Mexico. When we arrived in New Orleans, the crosses found their true home. But an adverse reaction to them on Rate My Space, made me rethink them and doubt myself. I brought them back for this book, because I truly think they imbibe the spirit of New Orleans and me. They look so perfect going up this stairway located in the kitchen.


The dreaded crosses ha ha
I love them ! Read more HERE


The crew loved all of it. They took some beautiful pictures of the kitchen. They loved the wallpaper on the kitchen cabinets HERE. But most of all they are loving New Orleans! I am so happy that New Orleans is included in the book!




When the book comes out, we will do a book signing in New Orleans at perch.

Photo sketch of the kitchen
They loved my wallpaper kitchen cabinets shown HERE and HERE


Make sure to visit Between Naps On The Porch HERE for some more great Tablescape Thursday offerings.

11 comments:

h. m. settoon said...

I love the wall o'crosses. Tell the rate my spacers to kiss your grits.

Anonymous said...

Valorie, no matter how many posts of other people's places and spaces you offer us, it is the ones of your own home that I love most of all.

Before I say anything else, I have to comment on the crosses! I ADORE those crosses and am saying "yippeeeee!!!!" that they're all displayed again. Not long after I found your blog, you posted about having reworked your guest room. There were before & after shots of the room. The "before" pic had the crosses, and I remember thinking how much beauty, interest, and history they added. Especially for a historical house in an old city like New Orleans. I thought it was perfect! Then the crosses were missing in the "after" photo, and I was very surprised as their absence made the room more generic. Your "before" which was sans the "raters" (hey, that rhymes with "haters")was right on.

And I love the anatomy charts too! Especially with the mask! That's the kind of stuff that makes spaces remarkable and personal, and you are so good at it. In fact, I've been wanting old anatomy charts ever since you first posted about them. I was at the chiropractor's office the other day, and he told me he had gone to a yard sale given by the family of a chiropractor who has passed on years ago. Just before Doc cracked my back I managed to gasp out, "Did you run across any old anatomy charts?" Alas, he had not, and I still have none, but it's on my mind.

Well, I could just go on and on because this is my new favorite Visual Vamp post. Your place is looking great, and I can't wait for the book to come out! For those of us who live thousands of miles away and can't attend the book signing at Perch., will it be possible to order a signed one through you???

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Wow - amazing post -- love your colors.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Thanks for taking us along on the tour! That was a lot of "behind the scenes" fun! I like that you make your lunch special with a nice tablescape. Yep, a girl's gotta eat! Might as well do it in style.
Brenda

Unknown said...

Oh, what a fun sense of style you have! My daughter would be especially fond of it - she likes colorful fun decor.

It was fun popping by. I found you through Tablescape Thursday - which is something I've never seen until today - how fun!

It was very nice to meet you. :)
Lynnette

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

It's all very pretty! Love the wall of crosses!

Katherine

Maria Killam said...

I adore your yellow chair! I want one!

Amanda Stone Talley said...

Dang Valorie, your place looks hot --ya'll sure have lots of room in there! I love where you put your painting! It looks great on that red wall! I hope you had a great Birthday!

MFAMB said...

everything looks so good!!! the skeletons kick ass and are very new orleans. your bedroom looks dreamy.

Jack said...

Wow - amazing post -- love your colors..collections..every thing...[..]


--
Jack
Best Affordable Security Systems Suitable for Renters and Apartments, Business and RV

Unknown said...

You have a such a lovely home - thank you for all the marvelous images! I'm so happy to have found your blog.