The last delivery of chairs from the grand reupholstery project came today. Everything got covered with white faux leather, and French Natural nail head trim. The chairs were repaired and stabilized. but original paint finishes were not touched
These chairs came from Spain, and are well over a hundred years old. They're salon chairs, but we use them as our dining chairs. I bought them in New York City many years ago at an antique store on Houston Street called Cob Web. I used them "as is". They were upholstered in a raw yellow silk. As the years passed the chairs got more rickety, and the fabric got stained and dirty. There were six chairs, but two got lost along the way.
I loved the white faux leather fabric I found on eBay for a mere $3. per yard, and used it on the revamp of the sofa first. I have had white slip covered furniture in the past, but wanted something a little more updated and easy to keep clean.
I loved the job Leonels did for me on the old camel back sofa, so much so, that I decided to move on to doing an antique French settee that had an unusual and strangely beautiful old upholstery.
The frame of the settee was in sore need of repair, and Leonel said they could restore this 150 year old piece.
There was still some fabric left over, thus came the decision to re-do the dining room chairs too, which was a long overdue project. I got away with using them in all their yellow glory for so many years, without anyone falling on the floor (if one of the old chairs finally gave out and collapsed).
They are so stable and comfortable now, as well as being very beautiful. The nail heads were spaced a bit apart to give them a less traditional look. Also, the less nail heads used, the less money in labor costs.
Once again Leonel did a fabulous job, and I hope to get many, many more years of use from these chairs.
Of course I had to do a little revamping of the breakfast area to live up to all this new beauty! I had been wanting to try out the settee along with the chairs around the table.
I also took advantage of my house cleaning mood to edit, edit, edit. I removed an entire collection of Majolica plates from one wall, and also removed the two huge rooster plaques. The mantle was a jumble of a collection of Majolica pitchers and a pair of Dore style lamps, and the walls around the fireplace covered with odds and ends of Louisiana folk art.
I brought in a lovely painting done by the artist James Michalopoulos, on loan to me from Sabina and Joe until they finally have their own home again. It was one of their few possessions saved from the fatal damage that Katrina did to their home, and I am so lucky that they have entrusted it to me for the duration. I also chose the best of the Majolica plates to display on only one wall. I'm trying to sell the tole sconce, but in the meantime it can remain as it is.Also on the mantle, the best Majolica pitcher, just three plates on stands, a modern lamp, and a baguette basket.
I also removed all the folk art (except for one painting leaning against the wall while perched on the bar), and a cabinet that sat on top of the bar. I streamlined the bar, adding a couple of white ironstone platters to hold bottles and accoutrements.
So there you have it! The end of the great reupholstery project!