Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Swedish/French Style Chandelier You Can Afford!


Gustavian Swedish style derived from French elements has gone mainstream. Even if you don't go for the whole smorgasbord of Swedish furnishings, certain key pieces are used in rooms that have a mix of styles and era.

One of the most beloved items is the wood turned chandelier. By and large they hover in price around the $2000. (and up) price range. For most of us this is too pricey. Many regular folks can furnish a whole room for $2000.

Mariestad 12 Light Chandelier - HERE
30"H x 28"Diam. LC584 - $299.00



But now...drum roll...the good folks at Ballard Designs offer the first affordable Swedish style chandelier I have ever seen. Believe me I know because I have searched on behalf of clients and customers and friends who want one, but cannot afford the going rate. Even at wholesale cost you can pay around $800. - $1000.




Mariestad 6 Light Chandelier - HERE
25"H x 26"Diam. LC583 - $199.00


It looks great in the catalog, just the perfect color and proportion. If it looks too new to you, you could always do a little antique-ing with paint.

So at $199. for the six arm model, and $299. for the twelve arm model, you can own a great piece of style.

It would look great in any room in the house.
You can dress it up with little wooden drops from Aidan Gray.
Aidan Gray also has some wood turned chandeliers for around $800.

Fancy and expensive - but check out the wooden drops
Also study the finish on this chandelier
You can do this to the budget one
photo from Cote de Texas


They are currently sold out of the gray drops, but have the gold. If you want them right away, I would buy the gold and just paint them, or maybe gild the candle cups and see how the gold mixes and matches with the gray paint on the body of the chandelier.


Happy Weekend!!!!

24 comments:

Karena said...

Valerie, Beautiful images!! Love the chandeliers!

Karena
Art by Karena

mimi said...

Wow, Valorie, what a great source for Swedish looking chandeliers. And adding the drops is a great idea to upgrade them even more. Love this idea.

La Dolfina said...

Amazing....
Great find!
Love the wooden drops too.

Laurelstreet said...

Holy cow - that is a great price! Something for me to think about for the dining room (schlepping another fixture way up there makes a bit queasy, tho).

Anonymous said...

I love those blue toile slipcovers. I have them in red but the blue is so dreamy.

La Petite Gallery said...

Very sharp looking..

Vickie H. said...

Thank you for the great tips! You are the best, Valorie!!

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Great find and tips Valorie!

Things That Inspire said...

Great tip! I am going to decorate the kids rooms tastefully but inexpensively (hopefully Suzanne will be on board), so this is great to see. Given that she now has a line with Ballard, let's see what we can do!

Unknown said...

So fun! Would you believe that I haven't visited Ballard Designs in a while and just today went over to see Suzanne's collection. Then, you're post. Love it when we're all in the same zone!!

Have a marvelous weekend!
xo Elizabeth

Jenny Quld said...

If only they delivered to Australia........Love them, what a fantastic price!

dicey1 said...

These are lovely! Thank you for showing less expensive examples as many of us have limited budgets. Much appreciated...lovely post1

Willow Decor said...

Valorie,
A great idea - thanks for bringing up alternatives and I agree Ballard is a good one! I love Aidan Gray as well.
Hope you are enjoying your summer!
xx-Gina

Appletree said...

Chandelier=nice, but that mirror in the first image...I want it, badly.

Lila said...

I love french style! What beautiful chandeliers. I'm totally inspired today!
xoxo
Lila Ferraro

Visual Vamp said...

Appletree... The mirror is also for sale at Ballard.
xo xo

cotedetexas said...

i'm going to order one right now.

alice said...

I was so happily surprised to see this when I opened my new Ballard catalog yesterday. This chandelier has been on my mind ever since, but the "newness" of it has been bothering me... your suggestions are such good ones! I think I might not be able to resist!!!

Mona Thompson said...

Where have I been? i love your blog! This post was right on. Funny how we are all trying to figure out where to put one of these. You can just see the wheels turning in all our heads. Much to my chagrin, I don't have a place but I am working with two different people right now that will probably jump on the idea. I hope they have lots of stock!

Love the idea to add some paint and some of the wood prisms! That is what makes this attractive to me. We are always painting something. Most of the time it is something old. Good reminder to just go with that new thing you wish was old and make it so.

Greet Lefèvre said...

Valorie,
Very good idea!!! Thank you!
xx
Greet

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

I can always find something at Ballard that is just perfect for me or a client. This is a great look, and now it's affordable too! I love Aiden Gray too...fellow Dallasite!. I have his faux sconces with the wooden pendants hanging on my new bookcase wall. Love them!

European Chic said...

The chandeliers are beautiful. Why can I not find similar styles/price in France? Greetings from Paris!

Renae Moore said...

Wowsers Valorie! This is definitely the one for me!
xoxo

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

No. Way. $199? That's pretty amazing. I wonder where I could put it...