Monday, February 16, 2009

Did You Do Your Decor To Match Your Dog?

Valorie Hart Designs with a little help from Cholo?

Since I painted the living room Billy Baldwin brown many of the new things I have chosen to go with the new paint color are shades of brown and white too. Our dog Cholo is a Cavalier King Charles spaniel, a Blenheim, which is a lovely combination of brown and white.



So when people come over, they seriously ask me if I chose the color scheme to match the dog!
Maybe unconsciously we're drawn to a color palette we like, and choose those same colors for our home, for our clothing, and even when we choose a dog (or cat). But I really didn't take Cholo to the paint store, and ask that they match his color. I can't deny that he doesn't match the room in the most charming way.

Joni Webb's babies match her white and black decor perfectly

I have a clipping file of rooms with dogs in them, and by and large the rooms and the dogs compliment each other, if not down right match.
We're still in Baltimore, so I am cutting corners by posting the clipping file of some of my favorite dog decor photos.


This past weekend has been wonderful. Our Tango workshops were full, and the dances organized for us have been the most fun we have had in a long time. We have had two extraordinary house hosts, one in Patterson Park, and the other in Clipper Mill. I'll show you photos later this week that I think you'll enjoy.


The highlight of the trip was meeting the terrific Meg Fairfax who has two wonderful blogs: Pigtown Design and Pigtown Pigout. She is all and more that I hoped she would be: sweet, fun, sassy, and design savvy. She took time out of her busy life to show us around her beloved Baltimore, and to join us for dinner one night.

We fly home tomorrow, just in time to catch the big push of Carnival parades that roll down St. Charles Avenue a few blocks from our house, and to go to all the parties leading up to Fat Tuesday. Tango activities are suspended until after Mardi Gras, so it was nice to have this tango filled weekend in Baltimore.


And what happens to Cholo when we travel? Well BK, before Katrina our dear friend Sabina always took care of our pets. AK, after Katrina, Sabina and Joe lost their home and moved to California. So we have found a kennel for Cholo, which at first sounds heartless, but we found a good one called Zeus's Place. It's doggy daycare and doggy camp all rolled into one. Cholo gets alot of TLC and attention, and the chance to socialize and play with other dogs his own size and demeanor (which is that of a shy little guy).

I know I am really missing him, because I dreamed about him the last couple of nights. We'll pick him tomorrow, and get 10,000 doggie kisses.


So thanks for indulging me in another clipping file post. If you have a photo of your dog or cat or iguana ensconced in your decor that you would like to show and share, please send it to me and I'll post it.

I'm sure your choice of dog and decor is absolutely genius!

13 comments:

The Blushing Hostess said...

Ah - not intentionally. But there are a lot of black finishes and there is this black akita at my feet - and some cool needlepoints with corgis on them... oh, dear. I better rething all this. Be well, The Hostess

Things That Inspire said...

Very cute post!

I will admit that I picked a dog to match my decor...I have bleached oak floors, and our family's decision to get a golden retriever was somewhat influenced (by me, not my husband) by my desire to have the tumbleweeds of fur blend into the floor, not stand out!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Loved your posting today. I certainly would considering designing a room around my chi-weenie..sounds provocative doesn't it?? Actually she's my dog Buffy.

Thanks for the good time today (:

Pigtown*Design said...

I was so delighted to meet you both this weekend! It was just such fun to trade stories about blogs and blogging.

Of course, my dog matches my decor! He's yellow and my sofa, ottomans and carpet are all pale yellow. I will send a picture of the darling little baby.

Julio Muao said...

cute pictures. Cholo does coordinate beautifully with the room. We have a red chow chow just like Martha Stewarts that blends well in our home. Lots of hair which requires lots of maintenance but worth it for us. I'm looking forward to seeing the Tango photos.

corine said...

I have to get myself a dalmatian interior then.

cotedetexas said...

awwww - you miss your baby so much you had to think of an excuse to write about him! toooo funny! thanks for showing my babies!!!

Joni

DesignTies said...

This is such a fun post!! I love all the pet pictures :-)

We definitely didn't decorate according to our pets -- we have a cream sofa & chairs in the living room and a Black Lab :-O Plus two other dogs :-)

I have a picture or two I'm going to send to you of our Lab Squirt enjoying a nap on the sofa.....

Kelly (one half of DesignTies)

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Ah, Edward and I adored this post!! And your divine Cholo does look as though his home was designed with him in mind!

While we rarely get that comment about our home, Edward and I have been told we look alike. I am not sure how to take that. I think it must be the hair colour!

Cholo said...

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

Renée Finberg said...

hmmmmmmm..........

no, but i did match my toucan !!

LOL,

nah....no toucan here just a greige shit-zu.
( but my place does match a toucan )

xx

Anonymous said...

No match here. It's a crap shoot in my world where my dogs are strays found at a service station, adopted from the shelter, or the result of an unplanned pregnancy. That's how I got the two cattle dogs that grace my life right now. My mom owns the mother (a sweet McNabb her hubby brought home from a high school football game where someone was giving her away because she couldn't stay away from the chickens). Mom's last words to her hubby (who I love dearly but who shall remain nameless) before leaving town for the week-end in November of 2005 were, "Whatever you do, don't let any of the grandson's dogs get near Calle." Well p.s. a couple of months later 7 pups pop out and I now have two dogs. No match whatsoever, but I overlook sooooooo much where my two girls are concerned:)

Velvet and Linen said...

Yes, my pups are white and my house is white.
I confess! Plus I made sure to buy two pups that don't shed on my rugs!

xo
Brooke