Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Junk In The Trunk And The Chemises In The Valises



Packing it up and getting ready to go the airport. Putting the chemises in the valises and heading home.


Our suitcases made me think of another clipping file I have on trunks and suitcases used as furniture, of which I share with you now.

Back in the 60's and 70's it was so cool to find an old trunk and use it as a piece of furniture, usually a table. This was kind of fresh and radical back then, using a utilitarian object for a decorative purpose.

Oka chest via Joni

Of course beautiful antique chests and sea captains trunks have always been brought into the house and given a place of honor.


And lately the trendy well appointed home has tables made of the trunks of Louis Vuitton.



Joni says NO to this PB trunk...

Pottery barn always has a trunk or two in their catalogue, and has helped keep them popular. People love trunks because not only do the make nice tables, they offer extra storage.

Joni says YES to this Oka trunk




Pottery Barn classic Expedition trunk




Nice trunks from katiedid






Antique wood country chests called trunks are popular


I have an old cedar lined trunk in the guest room

Vintage suitcases have been around for awhile, being used for storage and a decorative accents.





This beauty is the design of a trunk turned into a piece of furniture

So Ta-Ta for now! I think I hear the taxi waiting!

11 comments:

Jan said...

Ab Fab !
Safe journey home x

Pigtown*Design said...

Safe trip!

Cholo said...

Don't forget to pick me up at the spa mom...

Renae Moore said...

Valorie....great post....love all the fabualous ways the trunks can be used!
Blessings...

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

A lot of inspiration in these pix. That office in a trunk is awesome! Hope you had a great trip! laurie

vicki archer said...

Great shots - hope you had a fun trip , xv.

Renée Finberg said...

that last truck looks just about the right size for someone i know .

LOL

xx

Paul Pincus said...

this was so inspired! LOVED it! -p.p.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. You've touched on yet another one of my weaknesses (will it never end?). I've a stack of old suitcases on top of an armoire in my guestroom and a particular fondness for the make-up cases. Well, must go 'cause the dogs are howling at me. Don't they know that was the last post?

Unknown said...

I've always wanted to have a couple of trucks at the feet of my bed. Maybe on day.. thanks for the ideas!

cotedetexas said...

wait a minute - did I really say no to PB trunk? I love that trunk!!!!!!