Monday, April 20, 2009

Grey Gardens, The Last Word


Well I loved it. And I promise you this is the last post about it ha ha. If you were not able to see it leave a comment and email me, and I will take care of you.


Like many things one loves, and one digs deeper looking for things to use in a post, one goes down a delightful rabbit hole. One of the sites I found is Grey Gardens Online.
It is filled with so many wonderful articles. The exclusive interviews are the best. Please spend some enjoyable time there.



One of the things on my wish list is this book: Edith Bouvier Beale, A Life In Pictures. The Gray Gardens Online site will tell you where to get it. It's limited to an edition of 2000, so I hope Alberto is doing some early shopping for my birthday ha ha.



I want to thank Alberto for arranging the viewing of the movie for me at the home of our friends Jessica and Jon. Not only did they give up their evening, not talk during the movie, provide cocktails, etc., they also had the most delish crawfish boil for us for dinner. Thank you J & J!


The movie was all I hoped it would be. Some surprises regarding the sets, like the bedroom with the art deco bed turning out to be Edie's room at the Barbizon Hotel (and not her bedroom at Grey Gardens). I once considered living at the Barbizon! But I found a cheaper apartment on St. Marks Place on the Lower East Side.


I loved the scene when the two Edies dressed for JFK's funeral.
I loved Drew Barrymore's perfect patrician Bouvier accent.
I loved Jessica Lange - she was a perfect Big Edie. I think this rivals the role when she played Francis Farmer in "Francis".



I think the Maysles looked too clean cut in the HBO movie. They were definitely more hippie dippie looking, actually more hippie geek.
I also loved the scenes when Jackie came to visit. I almost howled with laughter when they offered her pate and ice cream.
I was reminded of a story my friend Michael Pelkey told me.
He was then a personal chef on for a wealthy important person. They were on the WIPs yacht anchored in Spain. Michael went to the local market to get the ingredients to prepare Salad Nicoise. He did not speak Spanish. The salad was declared delicious by the Spanish royalty attending the luncheon. The day help hired to do kitchen chores were hysterical. Michael had served them cat food! He thought he was buying tuna!
So I could imagine the Beales confusing all that cat food for pate and serving it to Jackie.
Oh how the mind goes off on tangents ha ha.



I'm showing some photos I've found of Little Edie as a young person. They are just enchanting. I also think Little Edie was enchanting as we saw her later in life.











Here are some family jewels.


After seeing the movie, I felt a sense of determination and hope. I'm so glad I spent my first summer in East Hampton with the Cat Ladies. Funny how in life we attract people like ourselves, how we find role models and mentors in the most unlikely of places.
Thank you all for indulging me in this Grey Gardens blitz.

30 comments:

vicki archer said...

I think I will re read these posts after I have seen the movie - if it ever makes it's way over the Atlantic! Glad you enjoyed it MIz V and btw I do rather like those earrings, xv.

Jan said...

Always happy to indulge you V :)

Anonymous said...

A nice wrap-up of your Gray Gardens posts. What a glamorous beauty Little Edie was. Such very good photos of a style era that I love.

kathleen said...

All your posts on Grey Gardens were wonderful. I enjoyed reading them so much. Thanks for sharing your memories about the Cat Ladies.

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

I have absolutely loved all your Grey Gardens pieces and have posted on you through my blog, abloomsburylife.blogspot.com. How fascinating that you actually met Little Edie...what heady days those must have been!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I so appreciate people who refrain from talking during a movie. Way to go J&J!

Unknown said...

I got to see the movie on HBO this weekend and also watched the documentary afterwards. They were pretty good at capturing the essence of the life of these two women. The set decoration for the before pictures of Grey Gardens was great and I think that Drew Barrymore did a good adaptation of Little Edie, right down to her accent. The book looks great...I hope you get it!! Thanks for your posts on this subject.
Patricia

AlwaysMe said...

I still remember the when, where and with whom I saw Jessica Lange in Frances. I could not speak for an hour afterward. If she is as good in this, she should get an award. Can't wait to have the opportunity to see this much anticipated film.

The Blushing Hostess said...

I saw it and though beautful thought is was a bit of a downer and I was left with questions: How do two people become complicit in that circumstance? - among others. The place was and is enchanting in the NY Times photos though, I am glad it has been saved. Be well, Vamp!

hello gorgeous said...

Loved it all! And am now obsessed as well...

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I LOVED the movie! I watched it because of all of the information you provided through your blog. I have told everybody how you met Little Edie! How amazing that is!! I also loved the part when they were sitting in bed in their mourning clothes!! And when Little Edie asked Jackie if Jack gave her ghonorrea!! (I am so not sure I spelled that right) Anyway, I am now enthralled with them and am looking for info! Is Little Edie still alive? It didn't say at the end of the movie, just that she ended up in Florida. And I am assuming she wore the scarves because her hair fell out. She was stunning as a young woman.

Thank you for sharing this!

Lou Cinda :)

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I just had a chance to watch it and was MESMERIZED. It was so amazing. The sets and fashion were fabulous. I want to watch it again because I know I missed some things. It was so good! And I really enjoyed your posts about it, too. Thanks so much. :-)

Visual Vamp said...

Edie Died in 2002.
Go to the link in this post to Grey Gardens Online, a very comprehensive site on all things to do with Grey Gardens.
xo xo

jerseygirl211 said...

Every time I visit your blog, I am so thankful that I found it. Everything you've shared with us, especially about Grey Gardens, both Edies, the house, the Hamptons, has been a joy to read. I thank you for sharing everything with us. Your account about 'it all', I find fascinating.

I'm still pouting about missing the HBO viewing.

'D'

home before dark said...

I love it when the mind goes on a passionate search and seizure of information. In other words: the autodidact. Is there any better kind of learning? Thank you for taking us along for the journey. I thought the movie was wonderful. I, too, thought the pate best passed up on. I can't help but think if the Beales had been southern, not as much would have been made of them. Can you imagine this tale told by Flannery O'Connor?

corine said...

Oh no... I spent WAY too much time reading your last posts, then trying to see if i could Tivo the show. You've got me hooked.

Linda in AZ * said...

* V-girl, I am soooo happy you loved it!!! (Because it's always disappointing to so greatly ANTICIPATE a movie, & then be let down when one finally DOES see iS o glad you weren't!)...

I was a little surprised at how truly PRETTY Lil' Edie was!

Many thanks,
Linda &

Linda in AZ * said...

* My computer's suddenly allll goofed up, so can't make correction! Sorry!
Hugs, Linda

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

I loved the movie! I did think it was sad, it was the classic, "poor little rich girl", they had no ideal how to take care of themselves.

Summer is a Verb said...

Oh no...not the last word! Btw, I have the book and it is fabulous...

Kwana said...

I loved it too and so many of the same scenes. I loved how they dressed for the funeral and thought of the cat food too when Big Edie said get Jackie some pate. Cracked me up. Watched it from bed just like Big Edie and had a great time.

Thanks so much for the wonderful mentions. This was so much fun.

Renae Moore said...

Miz V,
I did not get to see the movie as I don't have HBO...bummer. I will say though, that when it comes out on DVD, I will watch and you have given so much to the back story. I know I will enjoy even more since you knew young Edie! She certainly was a beauty.
Blessings Girl.
Renae

Bonnie said...

I really wanted to see this movie but didn't get to cuz I don't have HBO. I've been reading your fabulous posts about it and the documentary. Your info is so thorough and makes me still want to see it all the more. I saw a few clips and interviews on You Tube but they're so short. Do you know when it is coming out on DVD or where else I can find it? I'm at bjpdesigns@aol.com... Thank you soooo much!!!!
Bonnie :)

Vanessa Kiki Johanning said...

Wow! I have learned so much in the few weeks since I have been reading your blog!
Very interesting....I have loved it all ! Thanks so much for all the info, and insight, and sharing of your Life also!

http://RhinestoneContessa.com

Bonnie said...

I was just looking over your older posts about the house and it dawned on me... we all admire the beautifully decorated home but imagine having to UNdecorate it... to actually be the designer or people that have to TRASH the home in just the right way! Imagine having to wreck your own creative work... its a lot to ponder... Their lives were fascinating!

Sue said...

Thank you for the Grey Gardens Blitz. I adored every word and photo of it. The movie did not disappoint.

Anonymous said...

I did not get to see it, but I've been obsessing over it ...I don't have HBO, darnit! Thanks for all of the info on where to learn more.

Renée Finberg said...

they were real beauties....
in every sense of the word.

xx

Debra said...

I was s excited that I forgot to leave a comment and went right to emailing you...

polli said...

i am glad that you find inpsiration from watching movies :) i totally do as well!
i think you have to watch marie antoinette ! all those beautiful fotos you have posted with all the vintage roses are what the movie is all about !! beautiful blog!!

(new follower)

stunning! and very inspirational