Saturday, June 19, 2010

Thank You For Sharing!


I love all the great comments I got on the Mix and Match Kitchen post. Thank you so much!

And Kris whoever you are, I really really thank you!

Yesterday I posted about how Alberto and I are starting our mini renovation, and how I loved the French cabinet Wisteria has. I want to retrofit it as a base cabinet. However it's $1400. + $100. up charge + shipping, and it is just out of the question for our non budget.

Kris left a comment on the Mix ans Match post:

"... I saw that Wisteria French Chest at Discoveries on Rampart earlier this week... in fact, I believe they had two... and significantly cheaper. I am looking for the same kinda thing but with doors on the sides."

Well I high talied it down to the French Quarter with another decorating maven, Kellie. We had never been to Discoveries, so we were thrilled to check out a new shopping space.

When I walked in I immediately saw a chest that could work. I don't look for the exact thing, but rather the gesture. If the size is right, and the feeling, paint and hardware can be changed.

All the pieces at Discoveries are solid wood, and made in Indonesia or India.


Cute green French chest from Discoveries - on clearance for $275.!!!!
The size is right, and I can repaint it


Tall chest from Discoveries - I like the higher counter height of this one
Size a little off but doable - paint can be changed - and only $250.!

Getting warmer - this one has the Wisteria look for $225.


We wandered around the huge space, and liked many of the well priced pieces they have. Nothing was saying take me home, though several things were up for consideration.

Then we got to the very back of the huge store and there she was! The ONE!!!!

It turns out the owner Scott had this piece made as a copy cat of the Wisteria French chest!
The hardware is different, and can be changed. But the proportions are exact, and the paint job is very very close, and best yet it was on clearance for $295. Mmmmm $1500. + versus $295.

So it's mine! It will be while until we are ready to retrofit it, but I have learned that when something is totally speaking to you, don't pass it up. I also got some great door pulls that are solid distressed metal for $2. each. They have a huge selection.


Copy cat Wisteria French Chest at Discoveries - $295.
Hardware can be changed.
Wisteria French Chest $1399. ++


The best news is that Discoveries is on the verge of moving right next door to perch.! They are in the final stages of closing on a funky warehouse space, and they will consolidate both of their locations to Magazine Street. In the meantime, check out the French Quaeter store. They are getting two huge shipments in this week.

Discoveries
318 N. Rampart St. between Conti & Bienville 10,000 sq. ft
phone: 504-569-0310
hours: Mon - Sat: 11:00 - 5:00 & Sunday: 12:00-4:00
They have a web site HERE


And Kris, please e-mail me!!!!

26 comments:

Mary Kay Andrews said...

that's the best kind of blog love!

Kris said...

Glad I could help..

pve design said...

Truly, you bring out the discoverer in me, as well as make me want to tango or dye my hair!
Happy chests! Happy Weekend.
pve

Nita Stacy said...

Oh...my gosh...what a find! I love it. The pulls are hideous on it but I'm sure you chose ones that are perfect. I wish I lived close to this store. I've been wanting a french style cabinet for by my door in the living room for ages....I bet they would have just the one I need and at a price I can afford.

I can't wait to see how this fits in your redone kitchen.

Sabina said...

Score!

MaryBeth said...

You scored big on this one. I can't believe that the quality is as good as you say for those prices. I just love the second one, it looks yellow on my computer which only makes me like it more. Can't wait to see the finished product.

The Gimlet Eye said...

I love Discoveries! Great find!

Sharon Brown said...

Wow! I can't believe you found what you wanted/needed so fast.

Renae Moore said...

WOWOWOWOWSERS! Yay for fab readers....great find and to think that they are moving so close by too, you can keep your nose on what good deals are to be had all the time!
Awesome Girl...high five.
xoxo

jlonit said...

This is exciting. Love the cabinet, can't wait to see the reveal - I can tell that this will be in keeping with your dining room makeover.

Things That Inspire said...

The power of the blog and the blog reader - love this story, and love your chest! Please post when it is all set up.

beki said...

Oh my gosh, Valorie, how wonderful!! I wish I had room in my house for more furniture!

Vanessa@decor happy said...

Serendipity! Can't wait to see what you do.

h. m. settoon said...

I really like that store. I don't know if you noticed, but they now carry the candice olsen line of upholstery that used to be at Norwalk. Last summer, we got a great, good quality sofa there in a good looking outdoor rated fabric for around $1300.

*Chic Provence* said...

Really great find...and Design Junkie says they do upholstered pieces, too? I'm sending my sister in law over there...or to Magazine St I guess!!

It looks perfect for your kitchen, honeychile!

xx

Kit

Ange said...

That is a fantastic piece of furniture and you're right in saying you should snap something up if it's calling to you like that.
Angex

MFAMB said...

that is going to look awesome!!! i love it.

Anonymous said...

mazel tov! looking good, miz v! m

michael/bagelbrookefarm

red ticking said...

wow... great find... have a wonderful weekend !!!
xx pam

Irene said...

How wonderful.

Unknown said...

This is how it should be in life: One puts out a question, problem, dilemma and from somewhere out there come answers, help and guidance!
Fabulous resolution to your problem! Great find, I am so glad something worked out so quickly!

XX
Victoria

louise said...

i prefer the style you are going for; one that shows individuality and expressed creativity. It will feel more inviting as well. i find those with too much money to spend often end up with a cold look that shouts "materialistic" and when everyone goes for the same look, it will also be dated sooner than one that never was associated with a trend to begin with. Best wishes on your venture with the cabinets. you certainly are off to a good start!

Kris said...

Your email is mizvtheb@yahoo.com right?

Decor To Adore said...

Uh, where was this info when I was there? :)

Love. J'adore.

I imagine that you are pretty particular about your quality so it must be there. On my way to the web site.

cassandra said...

are you kidding me? you got yourself a serious wisteria knockoff deal! a little more distressing, new hardware, and bam - you're set! is it sad that i get more excited about people finding their perfect furniture piece than happily ever after love??? or maybe it's the same thing... ;) lucky girl!

Hello Lover... said...

What an awesome find - cannot wait to see it incorporated into your home! Love it!