Saturday, December 6, 2008

Guest Room Revamp For The Holidays

Our guest room had a very New Orleans flair. I used vintage teaching charts with life size skeletons (purchased in a Lisbon flea market) as a screen to hide a connecting door, and hung a huge cross collection as "wallpaper".
We're having very special guests arriving on Monday: Alberto's grandson who is two years old, along with his parents (Alberto's son and daughter-in-law).
Last year I posted these pictures on Rate My Space and got a pretty bad reaction. Funnily, every B & B guest we have had stay here, loves this room. But now with a two year old coming, I decided to take down the skeletons and crosses.
I rearranged the furniture so a baby crib can fit in the room. And I draped fabric on two walls to hide (and sound proof) the connecting doors of this typical shotgun house.

The dresser is a vintage fake French thing from the 1970's and I painted a faux bois finish on the top. I kept just a couple of crosses. The one on the bottom was made by our friend Gail's father, and it has little trinket drawers. The platter is by Philip Maberry. The TV is vintage too.
There is a third door that is used for the entrance to the room.
I put some of my favorite things in the room: The Cowhide rug, a little Lucite table, and the pair of Hollywood Regency tables (transformed into benches!) from the living room.
I also contributed my new Ikat pillows from Perch. The little vanity and mirror are from Ruby Beets, and the vanity doubles as a night table. The sunburst clock and Saarinen stool are vintage. The eggplant form lamps were purchased at Wal Mart.

The new bedding is very Jonathan Adler, but I got it at Target. I opted for softer shades of browns and greens even though it also comes with a brown and orange color way. I got coordinating bedding designed by Dwell Studio for the baby (which he can take home with him).
With the little accents of orange, via another fab Philip Maberry platter, the orange tassel given to me by my friend Jessica, and an Andy Warhol butterfly plate from Sabina, I was feeling like I needed some more orange.
I also wanted to add some holiday cheer. So I added the orange pillows from the living room, and an orange throw. The retro tinsel wreath is just the perfect touch.
You might be wondering what's left in the living room. Not to worry! It's been revamped for Christmas, which I'll be posting soon.
It's so nice to have family coming to stay with us!

12 comments:

Celia said...

Your bedroom is so stylish and loved the revamp for Christmas! lol...

Carla said...

HI Valorie, very glamorous guest room, I loved the draped silk. Beautiful work Carla x

Renée Finberg said...

whoa,
somebody has been burning the night oil.

i can't believe you did such an unreal job on the dresser top.

pretty great.

it is funky and stylish, yeah .

the baby will appreciate the removal of the ' body snatcher' posters.

i however, loved them.
one halloween i put very cool skeletons around my front door, and i ended up leaving them there for 3 years.

go figure.

great big hug

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Great revamp, Vamp!!

I thought it had becoup personality before though, too.

Pigtown*Design said...

Great job! I love the finished picture.

Dianne said...

I can tell you must be a fabulous hostess!!!! The room is wonderful.

h. m. settoon said...

it looks great. I always love draped walls in a bedroom.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

It looks so great! I would love to spend a holiday in that room :-) charming!

cotedetexas said...

Val: it looks wonderful!!! I could see you painting the room pink for some reason. I think you did such a great job - I love the wall drapings - it looks like satin!!! love the new bedding. but my favorite is the wicker vanity - can I have that? hehe seriously - can i?????????????

Can't wait to see the living room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visual Vamp said...

Hi Everybody!!!
Forgive me for not commenting back on so many of the nice ones you've been leaving. I'm a tad busy as you can see!
About the fabric I hung in the guest room:
It is several panels of canvas drop cloths! Cheap as chips, and such a lovely natural fiber!
As you noticed, it drapes wonderfully and looks pretty good. I stapled quilt batting behind it, to sound proof the room a little more.
xo xo xo

Unknown said...

I love all of your choices. The result is stylish and layered, as if everything has been carefully collected through the years.

Where did you get the DREAM garland?

Anonymous said...

Hi all. How are you?