Sunday, December 7, 2008

Merry Majolica Christmas and How To Make New Orleans Cafe Brulot

The colorful Majolica in my kitchen always looks festive, and this year I put the little kitchen tree in my favorite pitcher.I'm kind of corny in that I spread a little Christmas decor around the house. And even more corny in the kitchen where I have fruit ornaments on a vintage feather style tree.
The stockings are kind of corny too. My dear friend Miss Anne made two of them, and gave me the third. I can never part with them for more sophisticated ones. I fill them with little toys and English crackers. I strung the fruit garland years ago.
This is last year's version.
I have decluttered the mantle quite a bit this year, and also cleared and painted the second wall filled with majolica and the rooster plaques. The chairs also got recovered.
I'll get out the antique Limoges plates with the crawfish on them, and the Cafe Brulot cups too, to set the table for Christmas breakfast.

Cafe Brulot

Ingredients:

  • 1 orange peel, cut into 1 by 1/8-inch strips, plus 1 orange, peel cut into 1 long, intact spiral
  • 1 lemon peel, cut into 1 by 1/8-inch strips
  • 4 sugar cubes
  • 6 whole cloves
  • 1 (2-inch) cinnamon stick
  • 1/2 cup orange flavored liqueur
  • 2 cups hot, freshly brewed, strong black coffee

Directions:

Light the burner under a brulot bowl or chafing dish and adjust the flame to low. Into the bowl place the orange and lemon peels, sugar, cloves, cinnamon stick and orange liqueur. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a long-handled ladle, to dissolve the sugar and warm the ingredients.

When the mixture is warm, stir in the hot coffee, and ignite with a match.

Quickly, while the mixture is still flaming, hold the spiraled orange peel with the prongs of a fork over the bowl, and ladle the flaming coffee mixture down the peel several times into the bowl for a spectacular presentation.

Ladle the Cafe Brulot into brulot or demi-tasse cups, being careful to leave the flavorings (peels, cloves, cinnamon) in the bowl. Serve immediately while hot.

The coffee is prepared in and served from a special decorative bowl positioned over a flame, and the finale consists of the flaming coffee being ladled down a long spiral of orange peel back into the bowl. A Brulot ladle is specially designed with a small strainer at the end so that the bits of peel, cloves and cinnamon do not get served to guests. The finished beverage is served in tall, thin, footed mugs, often decorated with a full-length portrait of the devil, reference to the drink's other name, "Cafe Diabolique" or "Devil's Coffee," perhaps so named for the punch it packs!

My Brulot Pot and Ladle and Cups

Stop by and I'll make you a cup!

9 comments:

Celia said...

Your house looks amazing with all your decorations! So holiday feeling!
And that cake is just amazing!

Dianne said...

Oh I would love to stop by. I love New Orleans and it must be magical during the holidays,a happy place! Your kitchen tree is charming. I also loved the body charts in the guest room. I would not have removed them. Your Boho taste is so enchanting...love it! You should visit Tracy Porter's site, she is so you!

cotedetexas said...

your table looks gorgeous. but where's the clock? :( hehe!!
I notice everything.

seriously - your kitchen is to die for- do you ever light that fire?? how divine is that - a fireplace in the kitchen!!!

Jan said...

Your seasonal touches are anything but corny, they're all lovely .

Pigtown*Design said...

I've always heard about Cafe Brulot, but never tried it. It may be worth the effort on one of our bitter cold nights (or mornings!).

My Notting Hill said...

Love all these pics and the tree in the jar! Thanks for the recipe - plan to try it out this weekend.

Renée Finberg said...

i think it all looks great.

your house speaks of who you are.

xx

Visual Vamp said...

Hi Joni,
Yes we made a fire in the old fireplace once. It was Chirstmas day, the Chirstmas before Katrina, and it snowed in New Orleans! Something very rare indeed, the last snowfall being 25 years ago.
Katrina blew a few bricks off the chimney, so I haven't lighted another fire since, nor has it snowed again ha ha.
The clock! You play a great game of I Spy! These photos were taken before you're brilliant idea ha ha.
xo xo

Anonymous said...

Hello, you have a great site. I found you while searching for some cafe crulot equipment. I was wondering if the cafe brulot cups and sets are hard to find in New Orleans or if they are easy to pick up at thrift stores and antique shops. I was planning on making a trip there and though about trying to pick up a set. Do you know how much would be the average price to pay. Thanks
Chris
christopheresing@yahoo.com