Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Winners of The Swank Lamps

Material Girls HERE had a fun contest going where you did a design board for a TV show interior using the fabulous lamps from Swank Lighting.

The winners are: Sesame Street, by Joshua (1st place). I love the nest chair, the alphabet border, the Warhol painting of Big Bird, and of course the lamps.
Six Feet Under, by Gina won second place.
And Top Design by Lana got 3rd place.

Congratulations to all!

I also entered doing a bedroom for Ugly Betty using these beautiful Swank lamps HERE
I really could have used those new lamps! But not to worry. When I found out I didn't win I went to Plan B and revamped my living room lamps. I found them on a trash pile on swanky St. Charles Avenue after Hurricane Katrina. They had huge drum shades covered in pleated green and black plastic, and drips of gold paint running down the beautiful caged glass bases. They were also filthy, but remarkably intact. I love how large the lamps are.
I cleaned them up and got some new oval shape shades.
But since didn't win a new pair of Swank lamps, I decided to paint the gold parts white. I also painted the edge of the cream color lamp shades with a bit of white. I thought the "white" lamps would stand out a bit more against the Billy Baldwin Brown wall color.
There are two of them, and I use one on each end of the huge Baker credenza.
I gathered up the white accessories I had on hand, including shells, and candle sticks, and a cool old wooden bracket. I also brought in a couple of the newly recovered dining room chairs.
I think the lamps turned out pretty good, bringing white accents to the other side of the room.
Even though I didn't win the fab Swank lamps, I still love these 1970's babies rescued from the trash. The caged glass really is very beautiful.
But stay tuned, because everything has changed again for the holiday look, including the return of the Mac Daddy of glam coffee tables.

6 comments:

Renée Finberg said...

love the chair ( did you do that yourself ? )etc.
the pink lamps are to die.

when are you starting over at 'you know who's'.....?

ps
go to my site, hit the showgirl on the right.

xx renee

Antique Cellar said...

that room turned out lovely, as did the lamps. You are very creative

Marie said...

I applaude you on the re-do of the lamps. They are lovely.

vicki archer said...

You are a very clever girl and I much prefer your lamps. xv

Topsy Turvy said...

Valorie - replacing those shades on your lamps made a huge difference. Nice job!

-Lana

Topsy Turvy said...

Oops, I forget to say "thank you" before I hit "send"!

-Lana