Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Crown Me!

I found this beautiful picture on Brooke Giannetti's Velvet and Linen.

Brooke's bedroom


It got me thinking about how much I love crowns in the bedroom.

Julie Neill designed this fabulous bed!
And you can get it from her store by contacting
the fabulous Julie Ponze Director of Sales


Right after I saw Brooke's flawless photo, I got one of those tacky home decor catalogs in the mail, and lo and behold there were quite a few crowns there ranging in price from $139. - $445.

Horchow
Not the tacky catalog

Now they certainly don't do justice to the one Brooke has in her room, but with a little fiddling around and some smoke and mirror treatment, I think you talented vamps could work it.


Years ago you could only find antique pieces if you were lucky. Now it's kind of nice to find reproductions in the marketplace.

Antique fragment I painted and "shelled" and sold on eBay

Even though some of these seem a little shiny and new, I think you could fix that.

One nice thing about the reproductions, is that they have proper brackets for hanging.




$2. flea market fragment on top of an upside shelf from Pier One
It's in my bedroom ha ha


My bedroom again, with a more modern version of French
I kept the crown hanging over the Carlo of Hollywood painting


I recently got a hostess gift from Julie Neill! It's a crown! I love the toile tissue paper.

I hung it from the bottom of a chandelier in my bedroom. Now I have a crown trifecta! The top of the old chandelier is a crown shape.

So get yourself a crowned today!

15 comments:

katiedid said...

Of course I would expect your bedroom to be as lovely as the rest of your home! I love the crowns!

Jill said...

I adore the modern take on the crown in your bedroom...very fresh!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

You, my dear, are queen for the year! Your chandy proves it!!

Love your room!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Oh, you found some lovely ones!!

MIMILEE said...

I had to laugh when you used the word "tacky"! Last Saturday while shopping with my 9 year old granddaughter, I used that word when she showed me something she liked. Ouch! She said, "Mimi you always use that word and that's not nice"....She continued to explain that it may not be tacky to someone else even tho I considered it "tacky"! Out of the mouth of babes!! I told her that I grew up hearing that word from my mother so it just comes out naturally!! But it did give me pause and I think now I will try to use that word less often!! LOL!
I do love the CROWNS.....tacky or not!

Sylvie said...

I love the palette in your room. And the upholstered wall. Gorgeous.

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

I LOVE your bedroom!

Visual Vamp said...

Hi Mimilee,
I love your comment!
You made me smile.
Your daughter is right: One person's tacky is another person's style ha ha.
Indeed the crowns are not tacky. Who doesn't feel great sleeping beneath a crown?
But the catalog they come from is on the tacky side, starting with its title" "A Touch Of Class." Check the link in the posting, and you'll see what I mean ha ha.
Still I always keep an open mind, because you can always find a hidden nugget among the tacky ha ha.
xo xo

Velvet and Linen said...

Valorie,
well, you know how I feel about crowns!
Love!
I knew you would do something unique and fabulous with them in your bedroom!

In all honesty, I should say that they bed in my post is not mine. It was designed by one of Steve's clients. It is one of my favorite beds of all time!

xo
Brooke

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Now I want a crown! Lovely pictures. I'll probably have to try to find a tacky crown, because I won't be able to spend the $$ for a great crown. Beautiful post. laurie

Anonymous said...

Love your bedroom, Ms. Valorie! You're probably sick of hearing it from me, but I covet your talent for mixing old world beauty with new world glam and modern. This is a mix I'm realizing I must have, and it's one of the things that drew me to your blog. I'm learning a lot from you.

You're re-awakening my love of crowns. Remember the Imperial Margarine T.V. commercials in the 1960'? Each time someone would bite into a roll spread with Imperial, a crown would appear on their head. There was one version where the lady took the crown off of her head, opened up the kitchen cabinet, and placed the crown on a shelf with the dozens of others she had received by eating margarine. I was a kid, and I wanted those crowns in the worst way! Too late for that fairy tale, but I see a bedroom crown in my future. Just in time too since we've just scraped the cottage cheese off of the bedroom ceiling and are re-plastering. An opportunity to sneak in some changes, and to work on that perfect mix.

Pigtown*Design said...

As we say in my house (that would be me and the dog)... Klassy with a K. My well-proper mother said that people who say classy, aren't.

pve design said...

On a faux decorative job,I was commissioned to paint a crown for a little girl above her bed with lovely festoons of fabric that hung down.
I remember while I was painting this and thinking that she would sleep like a princess.

Rachel Follett said...

Great post! Love Brooke and all of your inspiration. Your bedroom is fabulous!
dwellings and decor

Renae Moore said...

Valorie,
I loved this post on the crowns...you would love this little store close to my house in the 'burbs of Atlanta. Go to:
http://www.onequeensfolly.com/index.html
She has lovely crowns and a fabulous gift store!
Blessings...