Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Magazine Street: Chinoiserie to Fancy Pants

Walking the streets again! You can take the girl out of New York, but...
I have a life long habit of walking, and Magazine street is always interesting, exciting, and charming.

Fancy Mardi Gras Pants window done by Marshe Griffin at Miss Claudia's Costumes


French 18th Century Painted Commode
Aqua with coral Chinoiserie


The back of the chest - old oxidized wood just as it should be


The hand painting is gorgeous!


Only $29,500. at Empire Antiques
contact Lois Comeaux at empantiq@bellsouth.net


After the heady experience of talking about that beautiful piece of Chinoiserie, I toddled on down to see Jack and Caroline at Perch.


I love this child size ghost table and chairs at Perch - Sasha O. might like this


This horse from Perch would look cute in Malia and Sasha's bedroom!

I loved this huge round table - It's done by Kerri French only for Perch -
It's covered with thin sheets of metal,
sort of like roofing flashing - it is just spectacular!


It looks like aged zinc

Another table top is leaning against the wall behind this chair -
I love the way the two textures look together


julieneil.com
Paris Table $1200.

Of course I stopped in at Julie Neill's store, and here's a tasty new table hot out of the workshop! It's metal with glazed gilt, and I just love it.

I took a detour down a side street, and stumbled upon this house. I think it combines old and new elements perfectly.

I love the way industrial materials are used - the roof of the house and the driveway gate are common metal. The building behind was once the slave quarter, and now it's been redone in a very modern way.

I think the front garden is a nice city solution using mulch bordered by mini boxwood hedges. The kumquat tree is filled with fruit. The white wreathes on the shutters are very pretty, and I love the X pattern gate.

I even love the way they did the driveway, alternating gravel with concrete squares, repeating the X pattern again.

All in all it was a lovely walk. Hope you enjoyed the nice things I spy!

9 comments:

vicki archer said...

You have spied very well with your little eye Miz V, xv.

Karen said...

You are making me homesick again! It must be time for another trip down the I-10 to see what's new. Thanks for keeping me up to date and providing the eyewitness reports.

Visual Vamp said...

Come on home Karen!
We have a guest room waiting for you!
xo xo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the visual breakfast Ms. Vamp! I like how you got right down into the hidden life of that yummy antique chest. You know that's where we all wanted to go. And that jewel of a house you discovered? I love it! The old with the new, Ooo, Ooo, Ooo! May I say Bon Anniversaire to my favorite writer, Colette, who called January the "month of empty pockets." Amen to that, and thank goodness for the pleasures of window shopping. . . and for those like the Vamp who go out and glean the best for us.

annechovie said...

Wow, love shopping vicariously through you, Valorie! That painted commode is such a beautiful piece.

Paul Pincus said...

the aqua with coral chinoiserie french 18th century painted commode is painfully beautiful. i love it! the horse is wonderful! could sasha and malia be more adorable?!

ps seriously brilliant post below!!! i LOVED it : ) The Ox is a steady beloved creature, and perhaps it bodes well for all of us that this is the Year of The Ox. love that! i wish you all good things in '09, VV!

Visual Vamp said...

Ah Carey - empty pockets indeed! But eyes full! It's good to be a visual vamp ha ha!
And Anne, I think you need to do a little painting of that Chinoiserie beauty!
And weeeeeee! We got Paul in the house! Lovely as ever to have you grace my humble blog.
Off to the salt mines...
xo xo

Velvet and Linen said...

Thank you for taking us along on your walk.
Perch looks like a wonderful place to spend some time. That zinc topped table is so pretty.
The chinoiserie commode is gorgeous. At $29,000, I'll take two. Ha!

xo
Brooke

Anonymous said...

. . . or is it Bonne Anniversaire? Yes, I think perhaps it is. Hmmm, must have gotten it mixed up with Bon Temps. (Ouch! These these very public goofs!)