Friday, January 9, 2009

Farewell Didier Aaron

Didier Aaron passed away today. He was 85.He was among the exceedingly rare breed of antiques dealer specializing in very fine French antiques. He had the finest things of them all! His shop is in Paris (pictured above), with branches in New York and London. Visiting anyone of them, but especially the Paris shop, is a graduate school lesson on furniture, paintings, drawings, and objet.
You can read more about this extraordinary man HERE and HERE, who opened his first shop in Paris in the 1940's right after World War II. Also, take a look at the lovely Didier Aaron website is HERE.
Monsieur Didier in 1988
Adieu!

4 comments:

Things That Inspire said...

I always learn something when I read your posts. I shall call my grandmother in law tomorrow and ask her about this, as she knows the antique stores in London very well.

NAVAL LANGA said...

I have read some of your posts/photos. I like the same and would like to revisit.

If you like reading short stories from an Indian writer, then a visit to my blogs would be an interesting one for you.

Naval Langa
SHORT STORIES by NAVAL LANGA
PAINTINGS GALLERIES

Another Interesting Blog LIFESTYLE AND RELATIONSHIP

Renée Finberg said...

V-

that's sad.
did you know him well ?

people like Monsieur Didier , with vast amounts of knowledge and exposure are slowly fading away.

xxx

Visual Vamp said...

Ah Renee,
It's the circle of life...
I met Monsieur Didier when he first opened his shop in New York. I was very ignorant about fine French furniture. He always had time for this poor student from Parsons, explaining anything that caught my eye.
I was once invited to a party he and his wife gave in their apartment, and it was a wonderous place, truly eclectic, a mix with modern things and all those 17th century French things he specialized in. They had red walls, which I loved.
He was an original, a gentleman, and a treasure.
I'm sure the business will go on with his son running it, but it just won't be the same.
xo xo