Friday, December 4, 2009

Holly Golightly Breakfast At Tiffany's Christmas Tree - Version 3.0


I am among zillions who love Audrey Hepburn. She inspires more and more as the years go by. She even inspires Christmas decorations.

This is the third Christmas that I have done my Holly Golightly Christmas tree.

It all started when someone gave me several gift boxes from Tiffany's. I already had the retro tinsel tree, and some aqua ornaments. The marriage of the two created the most fun tree I've ever done.


Click on images to get larger views to see details


The elements are Tiffany blue, black for Holly's little black dress, pearls for the pearl necklace she wears in the movie Breakfast At Tiffany's, and glam and bling because that's what they sell at Tiffany's.

I have had the tree in every corner of the living room, and this year I really like this situation.

I added more black ornaments this year. The first year I did the tree they were hard to come by, and I did some home made ones (that I still use). I always used chartreuse lime green ornaments, because I just love the color!

I got some great designer ornaments from my friend Meg, and I hung some on the chandelier/lantern this year. I tie the aqua silk pillows with the same black gross grain ribbon that I tied around all those lovely boxes. The big clock gets a gilt leaf garland festooned around it.
An over size Lucite clam shell on the coffee table holds more aqua ornaments. I have a collection that has everything from vintage ornaments to plastic ones from Wal Mart. The chic black reindeer were purchased last year at Borders.


My Nativity scene is different. I use Brayton Laguna blackamoors as my wisemen, and a retro ceramic Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus. The little sheep were purchased last year, and the glitter reindeer was a damage from the shop I work in. The little packages tied with Tiffany blue ribbon hold candles, and are actually wedding favors.

I have had the Nativity vignette on the coffee table in years past, but this year I put it on a sweet little vintage Saarinen side table.

The tinsel tree is very much like a modern feather tree, and I layer the ornaments along the branches as one would on a feather tree.

I also found three strands of very rare lights with a a silver wire! I could use more, but I swear they are almost impossible to find. I found my three strings of silver wire lights on eBay last year.

This weekend I'll do the outside decorations. At this point in our lives we are not big on exchanging gifts. We have everything of material worth. We always say that our life together is our year long gift. So the decorating, and enjoying the magic it always evokes is the way we celebrate.

Cholo is cozy as he watches Mom do up her Holly Golightly Christmas tree


So Happy Weekend!
Have fun as the holiday season swings into full blast over the next couple of weeks!


21 comments:

BaronessVonVintage said...

oh my goodness, this is just brilliant! My wedding had a Breakfast at Tiffany's theme but you've given me the most amazing Christmas ideas....!!!

h. m. settoon said...

looks beautiful.

cotedetexas said...

my favorite tree in the world! did you see artie's - omg! it's a masterpiece. color outside the line.

Gwen Driscoll said...

OMG, your tree is stunning. I love it. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see what else you do for the holidays.

Gwen

Greet Lefèvre said...

Valorie,
The Tiffany blue is wonderful at your place! I love your living room! So cozy! Your Christmas tree is gorgeous!!
I see that you have also a Cavalier King Charles! It seems that he is very happy with his place in your living room!
Wonderful post Valorie!!!
Have a nice weekend!
Greet

Jan said...

Totally blown away by your tree !
We are the same on the exchanging of gifts - ran out of ideas (and the will to do it) long long ago.
Hail Audrey :)

Willow Decor said...

I adore this story and the decorations!! I was just Holly Golightly for Halloween this year!! Just great ideas-so fun like everything you do!!
xx-Gina

Hill Country House Girl said...

Valorie - you are amazing. Thank you so much for your words of wisdom and your very sweet comments on my life. It is a busy one, as you said, and one I am very thankful for - I just need to fit in the blogging part better because it is so gratifying and fun! Your tree is fabulous - I have a bunch of leftover black craft paper and was just thinking this morning of how I could use it for Christmas - you inspired me and now all I need to do is find turquoise ribbon!! Not quite the same as Tiffany boxes but it could be good........thanks and have a joyous holiday season!!

Pigtown*Design said...

There's a big auction of some of AH's things in London next week. I just posted about it. Lots of Chanel, Cartier and designer dresses.

La Petite Gallery said...

I am MAD about camelback
sofa's they are timeless. Everything looks Fabulous.

Fun isn't it...
A whole new state of mind.

Anonymous said...

Hi Valorie. I just posted about Kerry Taylor Auctions Audry collection (Dec. 8) also. An early friend and fan received regular boxes from Audrey of couture cast offs. Can you imagine? Great photos of Audrey wearing the item being auctioned. I added a few movie trailers...very campy, 50's Paris. She was so wonderful. Loved "Breakfast at Tiffany's"...Love the Tiffany tree.Trish

custardbydesign said...

looks great...its nice to see where you found your inspiration for the tree...

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Oh so gorgeous...and so YOU! I love it. And that vamp manger scene...Oh, swoon!

Linda Merrill said...

Well now, that's one festive tree! Colorful and as someone said, very you!

Renae Moore said...

Valorie!
I love it...your flare is amazing...not taught but comes from within...beautiful (just like you!).
xx

Unknown said...

I have a silver tree too. I enjoy looking at the trees, reminds me of when I was a little girl.

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

Valorie, you have no idea how many emails I've received directing me to look at your fab tree since Joni/Skirted Roundtable posted about it! It is a masterpiece! I hope it's ok if I borrow some of these images for my Christmas day post on HoT! :)

MaroDe said...

This is a beautiful post, I love the blue and all your accents. I have to show it to my daughter, because she is an Audrey fan. If you want, take a peak on her pencil free hand drawing:
http://www.animalprintessentials.com/general/a-special-artist
I thought it was really good for her age!
Thank you for sharing and Merry Christmas!

kayellen said...

Very Pretty!
So glad Linda suggested I stop by ;)

Merry Christmas~~~
So nice to meet you!

Blessings,
KayEllen

Dream Mom said...

Your tree is stunning! Love the turquoise and lime green. The packages really add to the tree. Beautiful, just beautiful!

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

Just saw your tree over at House of Turquoise! It's beyond gorgeous!