Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Big Overscale Lanterns

Using a hanging lantern in place of a chandelier has been going on for some time. It's a lighting option that is here to stay. What makes it look fresh and updated (even when you use an antique lantern) is the scale. The lantern needs to be big.Whether it's in a traditional setting or a modern setting, it works if it's big.
It can be fussy or lean, distressed or clean, a single lamp or a caged chandelier - anything goes has long as it's big.
Many folks are using outside lanterns inside the house. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I thinks these are too small, and hung way too close to the ceiling. BTW most of these photos are from Joni at Cote de Texas. She has the most amazing archive of everything! So when I was looking for inspiration for big lanterns, Joni was my source (as ever).
My darling old little chandy has done many years of beautiful service. This one came from the French Quarter home of my friend Miss Anne.
The beautiful little light bulbs came from my interior designer friend Michael Pelkey. When we visited him in his home in Key West a couple of years ago, I was fascinated with these little bulbs. He seemed to think they were common and easy to get, but I had never seen them before, so he gave me seven. They have a soft rubbery feel to them, and are only about 10 watts each.
But now with the living room project underway, I wanted an overscale lantern instead of the sweet little chandy. I found this one, and thought it would look great.
I love the size of it of course. And I like the antique bronze finish too. It's new and not an antique or vintage piece, but I think it fits in nicely.
The hubs wired her up for me. The instructions said no dimmer switch should be used! Say what!!! So I called an 800 number, a help line, and the guy told me that it was just a disclaimer. The thing is to look at the package the dimmer comes in. It tells what the maximum wattage is. Most are good up to 600 watts, and darling no light in my house would ever be that bright! But the guy said alot of idiots exceed the wattage limit on the dimmers, and end up with an electrical fire!!! So read the box, and keep the watts low girls. This lantern is actually a cage for a six light chandy, and I use 25 watt bulbs at the most. So I was good to go, and I got the hubs put the dimmer switch in too.
So remember, when it comes to lanterns, size really does matter!!!

3 comments:

cotedetexas said...

Well my dear, thank you! but I see you've been a very busy writer this week and I"m enthralled and in love with you as I read! Your weekend post with your guests is just the best thing ever. makes me want to jump on a plane and come see you!!! What a talent you are - you never cease to amaze me. Your living room looks so wonderful. Your Madrid lamps. You are wonderful!

Visual Vamp said...

Hey Miz J, Thanks for the cheerleading! My house is your house, anytime, and NOT as paying guest either LOL!
You know your mentoring makes me a better person LOL
Seriously, you set a good example for all of us.
xo xo

katiedid said...

THis looks wonderful! I agree about the scale....lanterns should be BIG! ;)