Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Retro Archive For Sale - When Interior Design Was Known As Interior Decorating

The following images are from DOUBLEDAY BOOK OF INTERIOR DECORATING by Albert Kornfeld, who was the editor of House & Garden for nine years. It was published in 1965. It's 360 pages, with tons of photographs.
I know many of you (maison 21, Peak of Chic, Mrs. Blandings...) love retro regency, or collect vintage decorating books. So here are a nice amount of photos for your archives...


Now that's a sunburst!



My friend MariLynne Kane has floors like this!
Love that over scale wing chair


Great swags AND a Greek key floor border!


This fireplace treatment looks right
out of an HGTV make over



Note the caption: Edward Wormley

There's the damask we all love





Mad for plaid!
And check out the teeny TV


Mural-licious!
Now you know why I have one




Love this kitchen!


What are those flying things?
Flying fish?



Duelling chaises! Fabulous!


See the Saarinen table?
And the Eames chairs?


A pink bidet AND a mural!


I love the flowers on the rug -
it looks like rose petals


A dirty ash tray!
Now that's photo styling ala Mad Men





There is just so much in this book. And you can get in on eBay now for a BIN price of only $44.50!
The seller, eastendfunkystuff, posted all these photos, quite generous and very rare for eBay.
Someone please buy this book HERE!

4 comments:

vicki archer said...

These images look fabulous - I will definitely be having a look at this gorgeous book.

The Peak of Chic said...

Wow! I love that photo of the dining room with mural- very chic!

Visual Vamp said...

I put a wallpaper mural panel on a door in my living room. It was kind of meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but you know everyone who sees it, loves it, and after four years I'm still not tired of looking at it. It's like Alice going through the looking glass - you just kind of trip out on the large scale, and get pulled into the scene LOL

Marie said...

I tend to gravitate to "old" decor....my kids used to think I'm just boring, but I feel more comfortable with "well-used" furniture items. And after my girls have expressed their opinions about my "old" styles, they often want to have what I have purchased for my use..Funny! I have given them both two living room sets - both "old" furniture. Note that I am in my mid-60's and remember those styles with fondness.....