Saturday, July 26, 2008

Holly Golightly is 50! Breakfast At Tiffanys Celebrates A Milestone

We all want to be her. We all want to write like Truman. Holly Golightly celebrates her 50th! I wonder if she got her first issue of AARP?


Contest!
Where did Holly live?
What street is this?
Go HERE if you want the answer now...


Excerpt from The New York Times, On The Runway, by Cathy Hoyrn HERE:

In the course of working on a piece about summer chick-lit books that plug fashion brands (“Chasing Harry Winston” and so on), I realized that this year marks the 50th anniversary of the publication of “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.” Can you believe it?

Holly Golightly has served as such a symbol to millions of small-town young women (and, occasionally, to uninspired designers) that she, really, has no match—in independent-minded spirit, in style and honesty. Truman Capote said he wanted to prune out his writing style with “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” and you see that, especially against the name-dropping clutter of today’s books. Of course, you can’t compare a 2008 chick-lit book to his great novella, but I went back to read “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” again the other day and it’s interesting to see how he put fashion in its proper place (somewhere in the chaos of Holly’s life but never at the forefront). I found a mention of Mainbocher and of Bergdorf’s—the latter to a bill that Holly had neglected to pay.

It’s a good thing that she vanishes at the end of the story like a puff of smoke. I’d hate to imagine her, today, tottering towards Manolo Blahnik.


My photo of Holly

"I was nothing like her, but I felt I could 'act' Holly. I knew the part would be a challenge, but I wanted it anyway. I always wonder if I risked enough on that one. I should have been a little more outrageous. But at the time, as a new mother, I was about as wild as I could be. If only I were a Method player, huh? But the fact is, I didn't really believe in The Method. I believed in good casting. And I'm still not sure about Holly and me..."

-Audrey Hepburn

5 comments:

cotedetexas said...

she's a favorite - always will be!

Visual Vamp said...

You're a favorite too - and always will be!

Fifi Flowers said...

Ooh my favorite movie! Wow... 50!

BTW... my giveway painting is one of your choice... so if you win... YOU CAN REQUEST A CARNIVAL PAINTING!

Fifi

Visual Vamp said...

Oh I do hope I win!!! Your work is so great!
And the movie is not yet quite 50 (it was made in 1961), but the book by Truman Capote is 50. No matter what age Holly is, she is just wonderful.

Old House Junkie said...

Val, I must be the only woman older than Holly who hasn't yet seen this movie. I have just yesterday obtained a dvd of it and plan to watch tonight. Now, perhaps, I'll know what all the shouting is about! ohj