Friday, March 28, 2008

Movie Decor That Rocks

Some of the earliest awareness I had about decor came from the movies. I longed to live in rooms that I saw in the movies. Later I tried to decorate my first apartments like a movie set, with some degree of success, and equal amounts of deranged failure.
In the past couple of years Doris Day movies have been coming out on DVD.
I really like the goofy Glass Bottom Boat for the inspired 1966 decor and fashion.
With very little tweaking, these rooms could be in Domino, and I could be wearing this coat, hat, and boots.
Another crazy 60's movie with great decor is Woody Allen's What's New Pussycat? The set decoration was done by Charles Merangel. The character played by Peter O'Toole has the greatest apartment, complete with a giant white ceramic dog, just like the one Kelly Wearstler made so famous in her book Modern Glamour.
It is very hard to find film stills or photos of the sets, so rent or buy the DVDs for inspired visual vamping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, as you already know, I also have a weakness for interiors from movies. Particularly New York apartments. It is hard to find stills online. I know, I've tried. Sometimes I want to own movies just because they are beautiful to watch, not just because I like the movie.