Saturday, May 17, 2008

Children Cooking?


Is this crazy? Weren't we taught that the stove was dangerous (as well as knives)?
If you have to stand on a a stack of books or a stool to reach the stove, I don't think you are old enough to cook. Apparently there is a whole new trend in cook books for children HERE
With the epidemic of overweight children in the USA, do you think giving a cook book to, and teaching children to cook will help them understand better nutrition? My mom just told us to go outside and play. And we listened to her. I started to learn to cook simple things when I was about 11 or 12, and only because I was the eldest and had to help out my over burdened mother. I'm glad I learned, but had I been the youngest, I wouldn't have a clue.

2 comments:

mrsben said...

I recall making my first apple pie from scratch. Now I was about 23 years old when I did so but was amazed that I even knew how to do it, then it dawned on me; I had learned by just watching my Mother. She was "a stay-at-home Mom." I came from a large family and there were always extra guests at the table; so it wasn't nothing for her to whip up four or five at a time. In those days the stoves weren't equipped with a timer:) With so many Mom's out in the work force now and children being glued to the Computer and/or T.V., I'm wondering maybe cooking classes for children are not such a bad idea? A skill to be learned, cheaper on the pocket-book, and no nasty preservatives?

Visual Vamp said...

Hi Mrs. Ben, How's my favorite Canadian vamp? I wonder how much cooking classes for kids will cost? I llke the way you and I learned to cook better :-)