Monday, May 5, 2008

Palermo Soho-Buneos Aires


Beautiful hand painted store front



Of course Polo Ralph Lauren all over Buenos Aires, including Palermo Soho



Apple trying to get in on PC monopoly in Argentina



A peek into an empty Palermo Soho apartment for rent



Chic ex pat in Palermo Soho



Damask print wall paper in courtyard of a store



Design and Passion - it says it all about Palermo Soho


The trendy neighborhood Palermo Soho in Buenos Aires started to really take hold about 3 years ago. It had been gradually up and coming as an enclave for artists, very much in the same way Soho in New York City came to be. Now it is a major world class shopping destination, and hot real estate for many ex pats from the USA and Europe. There is an excellent blog Trendy Palermo Viejo that tells you all about it HERE
We spent a couple of days walking around this beautiful and huge neighborhood, with dozens and dozens of great shops, each one more cute and better than the next. The much touted Mercer store looks much the same as it did a couple of years ago HERE
Plaza Serrano is great for well priced clothes. I like the huge Verbo (1545 Serran0) store, kind of like Filene's Basement or Loehman's for hip, trendy clothes, by a myriad of Argentine designers. I got a dress, a jacket, 2 tunic tops, and a pair of purple leggings for around $100. US The pieces are unique and very cute. I didn't think I would fit into anything. Argentine women are super thin. I am a healthy American size 6-8, and have a hard time finding something LARGE enough!
The things I got at Verbo were actually one size fits most. I don't have a picture of the store because I didn't bring a purse or my camera. I wanted to be free to try things on. Verbo is great because it takes credit cards. Alot of the flea market style vendors only take cash.
For more great photos of Palermo Soho, check out Decorno HERE
Another great link with more info about Plaza Serrano HERE

No comments: